Design approach took existing prototype as starting point to learn about users & expected results & turned it inside out. First step was to conduct heuristic analysis and pinpoint burning ux issues. Since client didn’t have previous experience with large scale design, as first step we took upon to define design process that we’ll be using in following months. That approach proved to be instrumental for effectiveness of design sprints & way how we collaborate.
- consulting & remote workshops w/ client
- research & analysis
- interaction model based on user needs & goals we got from research
- information architecture
- design of critical screens & design of modular UI components
- feature based design sprints
- implementation support
Workshop sessions helped client to them understand how to prepare design brief and which informations are necessary to create user personas, user stories, scenarios & use cases ...
Based on client's input we’ve been able to distinguish between three major user personas. In our case we took unconventional approach to personas as based on their roles in clients internal workflow: analyst, portfolio manager & risk manager.
On top of analyses we laid out basic interaction model that will significantly simplify user interface and support client’s internal workflow.
App basically features three distinctive context: research, trading and monitoring. User must be able to move developed strategies from Research to Trading (production, deployment) and back, and monitor deployed strategies and act upon outbreak.
Design of critical screens & design of modular UI components
Plan was to deliver smaller, separate part of app as standalone feature. That way we can develop & test usability of interaction patterns & UI components before entering all-in design stage. At the same time design of critical screens sets a tone and direction for more detailed design approach.
For defining scope & goals of design sprints we were using Google Documents & Tables because of their collaborative nature. For feedback & implementation support we were using InVision with occasional standup dev briefing and Zeplin for extracting design elements from Sketch files.